My first conference session was @ my hotel so I was able to hang out @ Disneyland hotel & Downtown Disney for the morning. Had breakfast with Goofy...took lots of pictures, sent postcards, then went to Partnering with your talking book library...very good session...got new ideas. Going to check ALA Conference wiki for handouts since I didn't receive all of them. I need to review ASCPL's Adaptive technology resources & see what CPL's LBPH has available for our patrons. I think it would be good to have a kit (maybe Rubbermaid container) of branch resources that a patron can use in the building...such as Large print &/or braille keyboard, track ball, joystick, special mouse devices , flyers for LBPH resources. Staff could store until needed by a patron. A sign could advertise the services. I think next month I'll focus my section of bookletters on adaptive technology resources. Want to check out Illinois talking book library's website. They had some interesting Library 2.0 Programming. Saw a new digital talking book...very cool! I went to the survey session because I'd like to survey LEDS patrons to see what formats they would like more of in the future.
Had a quick bite @ Jazz Kitchen Express (Louisiana cousine).
Now off to the convention center to hear Dean Koontz speak.
Dean Koontz was a very interesting. He spoke of his life, childhood, and his writing. He grew up poor with an acholic father who was diagnosed as a socioppath...says it is why he can write about sociopaths. Mr. Koontz seemed to be vey down to earth. His Trixie books raise money for a guide dog training society. He doesn't want to be labeled as a horror writer because he likes to write various genres. He says this helps him keep from getting bored.
Went to the PLA awards ceremony...they know how to get people in the audience...have Jamie Lee Curtis speak after the awards! She was terrifically entertaining & humble. She wasn't the best student growing up and was humbled to be speaking to librarians and educators. It was amazing to be in the audience...she was very inspiring. She works hard...actor, children's author, closet organizer (we have something in common!). she puts great importance on family.
Went to Californian Adventure in the evening...great fun! Went on the Soaring over California ride that Jennifer & Jessica recommeded (the ladies from Pepperdine who gave me the ticket). Saw the Disney Electric Parade and fireworks, too!
Pictures will have to wait till I get back...some buttons don't work on the file upload page through my phone. Oh well...you'll have to come back to see the picture of me and Goofy (if I'm brave enough to post it!)!! :-)
Monday, June 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment